Saturday, January 17, 2009

Floors, Sink and Appliances -- And Color Trouble

We truly feel like we are getting to the final stretch here. They've taken down all of the protective doors and plastic, and we can wander through the kitchen anytime now. The floors went in last week and after some consternation about color, no color, etc. and whining about how they won't match the existing floors, the day they went in, I came home from work and had to catch my breath -- they are soooo beautiful. They did the mahogany strips around the edges of the room and it just looks amazing. I was worried over the matching for no reason, really, they put clear on it and "floated" a little color in the stuff they put on top (so it wouldn't go into the grain of the wood). They don't actually match the floor color in the rest of the house, apparently it is really not possible to simulate 100 years of aging in oak (who would have thought?), but they will age on their own and will get closer over time.

This week, they put in the sink and faucet, and the appliances are in! The sink is in, it looks great. We are going to move our stuff in the new fridge and get rid of the other fridge so we can have a living room again.




We are still futzing around with color - we had chosen a color, then got some feedback from various places that it was too dark, too intense, etc. so I backed off and went with a paler, less intense yellow. They did the kitchen in it when I was in LA, I came home saw it and hated it. Like the color of a baby's room. Then we went back to the drawing board, tried some other colors on the walls as samples, and they all looked dirty and awful. Then we tried to go back to the intense color I liked so well up front, and now I don't like it. Yellow, it turns out, is VERY HARD. I am going to try one other yellow that I found last night, but may give up and go with Anjou Pear, which is a green color. I was stressed out about it until I talked to Kim, who said "everything goes with white cabinets, don't worry about it. Whatever you choose will look fine!" And this is true, and besides, really, stressed out about paint? Really? I need to get some perspective.

No comments: